APPLYING FOR AN INTERNSHIP
Thanks for your interest in becoming an intern at the Battered Women's Shelter! We are excited to utilize your passion, dedication and service to continue raising awareness through prevention efforts and advocate for all those affected by domestic violence.
TO GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE PROCESS, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THAT PERTAINS TO INTERN PLACEMENT:
1. Review our current intern opportunities:
• Needed Monday through Friday, business hours only.
• Provide support to survivors of domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault throughout the legal process.
• Provide information about the justice system to victims seeking to exercise their rights.
• Help clients complete and file paperwork.
• Follow cases, check court dockets, and track outcomes.
• Respond to phone calls.
Shelter Crisis Intervention Advocate
• Provide trauma informed support to physically and/or emotionally abused women and their children.
• Interact with survivors and their children using crisis intervention skills.
• Answer the domestic violence crisis hotline. (Opportunity varies per shelter)
• Answer business lines, do light clerical work, and let clients in/out of the shelter.
• Assist the Youth Advocate with holiday activities, birthday parties, and field trips for the children.
• Supervise children while mothers attend support group, house meeting, and parenting support group in the shelter.
• Provide resources to the community about agency services, domestic and sexual violence issues.
• Make calls to local community regarding: fundraising, donations, and updating community resources
• Light clerical work sending out thank you letters to donors, photocopying, and making brochures.
• Write and create PR materials, including press releases, newsletters, website copy, and program brochures.
• Manage PR archives and photo resources.
• Maintain social media outlets.
• Help plan, organize, and implement upcoming fundraisers/events.
2. Complete and submit the Intern Application. Submit applications to Hannah Servedio at HannahS@scmcbws.org.
Applications for Summer Semester 2017 will be accepted until March 21st, 2017
Applications for Fall Semester 2017 will be accepted until June 27th, 2017
Applications for Winter Semester 2017 will be accepted until October 31st, 2016
3. Once your Intern Application has been received, our team will review your paperwork then extend an interview to applicants who meet our qualifications.
4. Applicants who are asked to interview, will conduct a phone interview with the Outreach & Education Manager. During this interview we will determine best placement options and review the objectives of your internship.
Please note: The Battered Women's Shelter has limited spots available for Social Work Interns, so please note that if you are a Social Work Student seeking placement we will not be able to guarantee placement. Applicants will be interviewed, then those exceeding our expectations will be moved to along to our second interview by the last day of our application deadline. (See bullet point #2).
5. Perform a second interview with the Intern Task Supervisor.
6. Once accepted to program, intern will need to attend one of the available ‘The Basics' trainings.
7. Once accepted to program, intern will be required to complete a FBI and BCI&I background checks.
Interns will be responsible for covering costs associated with obtaining the background checks. The cost is about $60.
8. Once training and background checks have been completed, placement can begin!
Questions, please contact Hannah Servedio at HannahS@scmcbws.org or 330-374-0740.